Decorate Christmas trees
with consumer-inspected lights and double-check for frayed wires. Don't
overload electric outlets. Check the power capacity of your house and stay
within wattage limits.
Keep presents away from
the tree lights. Keep the tree well watered, as dry trees burn explosively. Do
not place the tree near a fireplace or an exit.
Do not burn gift
wrappings in the fireplace, as this can cause a chimney fire.
If you use candles,
place them in a safe place away from any flammable material. Be sure all
children know the dangers of candles, chafing dishes, potpourri scent pots,
the fireplace and space heaters.
Keep clutter away from
the stove while cooking., If grease catches fire, do not throw water on it.
Cover the pan with a lid. In order to avoid injury, turn pot handles in over
the stove and never wear loose clothing while cooking. Don't leave cooking
food unattended for extended periods of time, since this is the most common
cause of cooking-related fires.
Buy and install a smoke
detector. If you already have one, clean and test it. A working smoke detector
can double your chances of survival.
Practice home fire
drills. Designate two exits from every room, make sure all family members are
aware of an outside meeting place, and get out quickly.
Know your community's
emergency telephone numbers and how to call for help.